Through its revolutionary and eco-friendly Dry Cleaning process, 1 Stop Wash can help keep you and your wardrobe in shape for longer – and at great prices too. We offer first-class eco-friendly Dry Cleaning services at affordable rates and only use non toxic chemicals to make sure your clothes, and our planet, stay sustainable.
Watch this short video for more information on wet cleaning from our partner Miele
What is traditional Dry Cleaning?
Dry Cleaning, strictly speaking, isn’t exactly a ‘dry’ process. A combination of water and chemicals are used in a large industrial sized cleaner which looks a bit like your washing machine at home but the machines that Dry Cleaners use is a few times the size of it (and a few times the cost too!). The chemicals used in particular are of a hazardous origin especially the ongoing and widespread use of PERCHLOROETHYLENE or better known as PERC.
What is PERC and why do many Dry Cleaners use it?
PERC has been primarily used within the traditional dry cleaning process for many years and helps to dry clean fabrics and garments but is also used to clean metals. In recent times the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has deemed PERC to be a health and environmental hazard. Long and short term exposure to PERC has been known to cause skin irritation, dizziness and even long term diseases such as cancer.
How can you be exposed to PERC?
Inhalation of PERC through wearing clothes that have been cleaned using the traditional Dry Cleaning processes and skin contact with these garments are some of the main ways you are being exposed to this hazardous chemical.
Who is at risk of exposure to PERC?
If you use cleaners who use the traditional Dry Cleaning process then you are at clear risk of exposure. If you also live nearby to any establishments which use the traditional Dry Cleaning process then you are also at risk.
Why is 1 Stop Wash different to the traditional Dry Cleaners?
1 Stop Wash offers a healthy alternative to the traditional Dry Cleaning process called ‘wet cleaning’. Here are the main benefits:
Wet cleaning is energy efficient
Due to its revolutionary water and energy efficiencies, the wet cleaning process:
- Uses on average 30% less water than the traditional wash cycle in Dry Cleaning
- Is able to provide amazing results even at 20 degrees
- Reduce energy consumption by up to 50% which makes it a truly green alternative to traditional Dry Cleaning.
Wet cleaning is safer for you and your family
- No toxic chemicals are used in our process and instead we use biodegradable detergents – no PERC is ever needed when you get your clothes cleaned by us.
- This means that those chemicals will not enter our air or water supply which makes the environment and planet safer.
- It’s also a much better alternative for babies, children, and people who suffer from breathing related allergies.
Wet cleaning is better for your clothes:
The wet cleaning washer and dryers are highly sophisticated and have control over a range of factors such as:
- Detergent dosing levels
- Drum rotation rhythms
- Water temperature to a very high degree of accuracy
Clothes are cleaned in a safe manner and are left with a fresh smell – no more toxic odours!
The washer also uses an optimized spin cycle that measures the amount of moisture in your clothes which helps protect them from over drying and therefore less chance of shrinking.