Through its revolutionary and eco-friendly Dry Cleaning process, 1 Stop Wash can help keep you and your wardrobe in shape for longer – and at great prices too. We offer first-class eco-friendly Dry Cleaning (also known as Wet Cleaning) services at affordable rates and only use non-toxic chemicals to make sure your clothes, and our planet, stay sustainable.
Watch this short video for more information on wet cleaning from our partner Miele
What is Eco-friendly Dry Cleaning or Green Dry Cleaning?
Green dry-cleaning offers an alternative to traditional dry cleaning. This method does not use PERC and hence it is not harmful. Wet cleaning, liquid carbon dioxide cleaning, DF-2000 Hydrocarbon solvent, and silicon-based solvent. Wet cleaning is gentler than home laundering. The other three methods do not use the traditional solution and PERC is entirely absent.
How Traditional Dry Cleaning Differs From Eco-Friendly Dry Cleaning?
The awareness about the environment has revolutionized the industry. In an attempt to keep the environment safe, PERC has been deemed unsafe by experts. This has led to the use of some other methods that are not only non-toxic but also pose zero risks to health.
Dry Cleaning, strictly speaking, isn’t exactly a ‘dry’ process. A combination of water and chemicals are used in a large industrial-sized cleaner which looks a bit like your washing machine at home but the machines that Dry Cleaners use is a few times the size of it (and a few times the cost too!). The chemicals used in particular are of a hazardous origin especially the ongoing and widespread use of PERCHLOROETHYLENE or better known as PERC.
There are five significant differences between traditional dry cleaning and eco-friendly dry cleaning. These differences are given below:
- Shifting Away from Dry Cleaning Techniques: The cleaning industry has moved away from conventional dry cleaning techniques. They rely more on water washing solutions. The automated washers give the dry cleaners to wash the clothes without solvents.
- Energy-Saving Techniques: With the water washing technique, the use of energy is minimized. The dry cleaners see a significant change and save both electricity and water. The quantity of water is calculated according to the piece of garment that helps in saving water.
- Gentle on Clothes: This technique is gentler on clothes. No matter how expensive your clothes are, the solvent used by the dry cleaners does not damage the clothes.
- Treats Stains Easily: Traditional dry cleaning does not remove all stains such as blood, tomato, etc. For eco-friendly dry cleaners, however, it becomes easy to remove all stains.
- Welcomes all Clothes: All types of clothes can be brought for eco-friendly dry cleaning.<
What Is PERC And Why Do Many Dry Cleaners Use It?
PERC has been primarily used within the traditional dry cleaning process for many years and helps to dry clean fabrics and garments but is also used to clean metals. In recent times the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has deemed PERC to be a health and environmental hazard. Long and short term exposure to PERC has been known to cause skin irritation, dizziness and even long term diseases such as cancer.
How Can You Be Exposed To PERC?
Inhalation of PERC through wearing clothes that have been cleaned using the traditional Dry Cleaning processes and skin contact with these garments are some of the main ways you are being exposed to this hazardous chemical.
As PERC has been declared hazardous, the following facts would make it clear why the EPA took drastic measures to ban its use in the industry
- PERC is known to be a carcinogenic
- It can also lead to kidney and liver diseases
- It can cause reproductive disorders
- It can enter the body directly through inhalation
- As it is present in the clothes, it can elevate the levels of toxin in the house
- Lactating mothers can put their infants at risk by feeding them contaminated milk
Who Is At Risk Of Exposure To PERC?
If you use cleaners who use the traditional Dry Cleaning process then you are at clear risk of exposure. If you also live nearby to any establishments which use the traditional Dry Cleaning process then you are also at risk.
Why Is 1 Stop Wash Different To The Traditional Dry Cleaners?
1 Stop Wash offers a healthy alternative to the traditional Dry Cleaning process called ‘wet cleaning’. Eco-friendly dry cleaning makes use of solvents that are not harmful or toxic. By eradicating the use of PERC, we use solvents and detergents that are not harmful to the environment. The waste does not damage or pollute the environment giving us a healthy atmosphere to breathe in. People who opt for eco-friendly dry cleaning are not exposed to a high risk of cancer.
Here are the main benefits of wet cleaning:
Wet cleaning is energy efficient
Due to its revolutionary water and energy efficiencies, the wet cleaning process:
- Uses on average 30% less water than the traditional wash cycle in Dry Cleaning
- Is able to provide amazing results even at 20 degrees
- Reduce energy consumption by up to 50% which makes it a truly green alternative to traditional Dry Cleaning.
Wet cleaning is safer for you and your family
- No toxic chemicals are used in our process and instead we use biodegradable detergents – no PERC is ever needed when you get your clothes cleaned by us.
- This means that those chemicals will not enter our air or water supply which makes the environment and planet safer.
- It’s also a much better alternative for babies, children, and people who suffer from breathing related allergies.
Wet cleaning is better for your clothes:
The wet cleaning washer and dryers are highly sophisticated and have control over a range of factors such as:
- Detergent dosing levels
- Drum rotation rhythms
- Water temperature to a very high degree of accuracy
Clothes are cleaned in a safe manner and are left with a fresh smell – no more toxic odours!
The washer also uses an optimized spin cycle that measures the amount of moisture in your clothes which helps protect them from over drying and therefore less chance of shrinking.
We value the clothes of our customers. We understand the dire results of using chemicals that can affect the clothes and humans as well. At 1 Stop Wash, it is our mission to eradicate the use of harmful chemicals. We use a wet cleaning process that uses non-toxic, biodegradable, and eco-friendly detergents. We handle your clothes with great care and give you the desired result.
Interested in getting your precious pieces of clothing wet cleaned as opposed to traditionally dry cleaned? Call us on 0207 837 4997 or book a pick up to get freshly cleaned clothes within 48 hrs – Check out all the Laundry & Dry Cleaning Services we have to offer.